Lately I’ve been on a roller-coaster of ups and downs and I just can’t get off of it. It’s been super tough and I know I need to get through it and that I can. I need to put me first and keep reminding myself certain things. Things like this:
A writer for the New York Times interviewed a series of people who had survived jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. Every person she interviewed admitted that about two thirds of the way down, they realized that every seemingly meaningless problem that caused them to jump was fixable. Every single one.
I can fix my problems and I can make myself and better person and I can be whoever I want to be and I can do whatever I want to and I can love whoever I want to and I can travel wherever I want to. I can.
Song of the Day - Outro by M83
Last night my boyfriend and I rode bikes to the beach and it was such a beautiful night. I don’t know why, but the night just makes me feel so calm and so alive and so happy.
I felt so at peace, which is something I haven’t felt in a long time. There was something about last night that really just made me feel like I’m okay and that I’m alive and that I can get through the rest of the year just fine.
I just have to keep reminding myself of nights like these and this feeling.
Sorry this is more of a diary-type post, but I hope you all go on awesome night adventures and feel as alive as I did!
Song of the Day - Weightless by Washed Out
‘close your eyes / you’re weightless now / floating safe and you’ll be gone
define of though, keep rising up / he’ll raise you to the stars’
I just made two more entries and I absolutely love making these entries! I was inspired by pictures I had and found and it made me want to write!
Keep looking here for more journal posts and other fun things!
I’m so excited for the new year and I can’t wait to get the school year over aha.
I started this new journal and I can’t wait to keep it going. It’s really nice to stay creative which is super hard because of all the time being taken up by school. Hopefully this year I can have more Jenna time!
Happy New Year!
D. I. Y. A-LINE SKIRT !
What you’ll need:
- About 1.25 yards of fabric (I had 1 yard and I had some left over!) it also depends on what the pattern calls for
- skirt (preferably another skirt of the same style you’re trying to achieve, something with some structure)
- sewing machine
- pencil (theres fancy ones but I just used a normal one)
- 6 inch zipper
Wooo you have all the stuff, now what?
- Take the skirt you have and fold it in half at the center. (photo 1)
- Lay the skirt on paper and trace around the skirt, this will be your pattern that you’ve created. (photo 2 and 3)
- Now take your fabric and fold it in half at the center with just one fold.
- Lay your paper pattern from the center fold on top of the fabric’s center fold. (photo 4)
- CUT! BUT before you cut, make sure you leave space for a seam!! usually 5/8 inches for seam allowance
- woo now you have a piece! now repeat the same steps!
- now you should have two skirt pieces from your fabric!
- decide which side of your skirt you will be putting your zipper in. Lay your zipper from the top waist of your inside out skirt piece and mark where it ends with your pencil.
- from this mark to the bottom hem line of the skirt, sew the two skirt pieces together with the front of the fabric facing inside (so inside out).
- for the zipper, I followed the directions that came with the zipper on how to put it in. if you have trouble with this part, contact me! its just hard to explain!
- now you should have one side sewed together with the zipper in! from the skirt still being inside out, sew the other side.
- now try on! I think this step is important because if it doesn’t fit, you have the chance to fix it! This happened to me and I had to cut off some fabric from the sides! Its completely fine if you have to take it in a little bit! if so, just pin the skirt to fit you, re-cut and re-sew!
- waistline time! peel over some fabric from the top to the inside, just like you would to make a hemline and pin to make it straight! you can do this while trying it on to see how it works!
- ***TIP*** once you have your pins in, I ironed the line between the pins and gradually took each one out as I ironed so that way the fabric stayed in the line. This helped a BUNCH to keep the shape and now poke myself with pins.
- Sew with skirt being inside out!
- Try on again and pin the hem desired and iron to make the lines straight and even when you sew!
- sew, and you’re DONE!
- now send me pictures of your cute skirts! :)
I am more than happy to help anyone if you have any questions message me here!
Finally made it. After one failed attempt, Jane and I finally got smart and checked out the tides online and we were so proud we finally made it without people really telling us where to go (its a secret).
BUT what really sucked what once we got there, the guy who owned the house above the pools basically kicked us out :( so every picture we took was like a stolen picture!
We want to go back because it was sooo awesome so we’re planning on going after New Years!
ugh can’t wait!
Song of the Day - Youth by Beach Fossils
ps probably going to be posting a playlist from this day soon! :)
Home Appreciation Post !
Although not a lot of people do, I think it’s nice to appreciate home every once and awhile. While everyone is super fixated on leaving town as soon as possible to get away from the people or the place, it’s healthy to detach yourself and slow yourself down for a moment!
Trust me, I want to get out and see the world as much as all of you, but don’t forget to love who you are and where you come from! That’s all I just wanted to say! xx
p.s. I’ll be posting a skirt DIY tomorrow! I’ve been working all day on it today so I’m super stoked! :) stay posted!
Song of the Day - Welcome Home by Radical Face
MERRY CHRISTMAS ! 🎅🎁🎄
I really hope all of you have such a wonderful Christmas or Wednesday! :)
So these pictures are from the top of my Red and Green Velvet Cake I made! The cake toppers I got from a DIY here from Oh Happy Day! Mine aren’t as awesome as their cute toppers, but I’m happy with how it came out!
Anyways check out the DIY and stay posted for more fun stuff!
These photos are from a couple of nights ago when my friend, Jane, and I decided to experiment with the Christmas lights near my Gram’s house. The upper photo is me and the second photo is Jane! I layered the photos with funky exposure shots I took from the lights on the water. They aren’t the bee’s knees but I think they’re pretty cool.
I’m struggling to get a portfolio together to kind of start my path on photography because I’m seriously starting to consider following my dream! I’m super conflicted with trying though, because I have this obsession with being successful/not failing.
Jane and I are going to take some more experimental pictures this week though so look for more posts coming up! :)
Song of the Day - Glass by MØ
Welcome to Youth Daze! My name is Jenna and I’m 18 from Southern California. Right now I’m in a mess of confusion of where I’m supposed to go next in my life and so I’m using this blog as an outlet to help me discover my true creative self! Here I’ll be posting my photography, art, style, playlists, random anecdotes, recipes, DIYs, and anything that inspires me! I hope people read this blog and can help find themselves too somehow.
Anyways, until next post,